Saturday, October 1, 2011

What was the first food, other than milk or formula, you gave to your baby?

My baby is 5 months old, and has not yet had any real food. We are planning to offer him some around 6 months, and seeing how he reacts to it.





Out of curiosity:





What was your baby's first food?


What was/is their favorite food?





Thanks!|||Mashed potatoes and bananas. My youngest favorite food was mashed potatoes with mashed peas... |||Rice cereal should be the first food you give your baby because it's very unlikely he will be allergic to it and it has added iron that he needs.|||mashed potatoes worked great since they dont have teeth and it is filling. |||just working with baby cereal right now for my 6months twins|||Pumpkin|||I started putting a little bit of baby rice cereal into my (now 2 year old) daughter's formula. After taking that in for a month or so, I offered her pears, carrots, and peas (in the jars, of course). I think her favorite food was the Gerber Graduate meat stix by the time she was about 14 months. (You must be really wanting to hurry up the process of feeding her something beyond the bottle, huh? I was like that too-- even setting her up in the high chair before she could actually sit. But, you'll find out, that you have to be patient.) Good luck.|||I don't have a baby, but my first real food was honey nut cheerios, then i got Goldfish (my mom bit off the big ol' heads so they were small enough pieces for me)|||baby cereal, then i gave him mashed peas ( he loves all food, except spinach) my little piggy :)|||I started with Rice cereal which both of my girls hated it so I moved onto oatmeal for cereal they loved it then I did applesauce and finally real baby food sweet potatoe by gerber.When the had teeth and could do solids or thicker consistancy I offered mashed potatos and veggies them chicken nuggets when they got older.Watch for signs your lil one will let you know when he/she is ready.Congrats on your first baby|||I first started my son out on rice cereal for a month. Then he went to bananas. I found bananas easier for my kids to get used to eating. And they really like them! I didn't start mine on real food until he was 5 months old and now he is like a human garbage disposal! Even the pediatrician will tell you to try them on rice cereal first. Really liquidy at first. I think I did two ounces of milk and one scoop (formula scoop) of cereal. Then gradually thicken it up and add more milk to however much your child will eat. Now, my son is 12 months old and he still loves his baby cereal. He is on oatmeal now, though. He has it for breakfast only. I give him 8 or 9 (formula scoops) of cereal with apple juice instead of formula. He loves it. I would start him soon though. The older he gets, the less satisfied he will get with just formula/breastmilk. And he will get really fussy. Good luck|||baby rice mixed with milk,then pureed potato,i gradually built up tastes and textures as they got older,and stronger,but baby rice is the best first food|||mashed potatos, anything that i could smash up or i thought she could eat on her own that was soft, like cooked carrots or green beans that i smashed.|||Well the first table food I gave my son was green beans and mash potato's at 6 months. He loved them, but now he want eat them.Before that he eat jar baby food. Now he LOVES any kind of pasta weather it is spaghetti, or pasta roni garlic %26amp; olive oil vermicelli %26lt;his fav.) , but not mac and cheese. He is 3|||well the first drink was baby juice! and the first food.. even tho i shouldnt of done it but when she was about 3 months old i gave her a little taste of what ever i was eating.. like if i had pizza i let hr taste the pizza saucse n stuff. but i should of gave her cerial but she didnt like it so i jus started giving her baby food liek mashed carrots n stuff/|||An alternative to rice cereal, that I wished I started as a first food is avocado. Avocado is a great first food. Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com. I use the site to make most of my baby's organic meals.


Here is what they have said about avocado:


Avocado is a wonderful first food for baby! Avocado may be offered as early as 4 - 6 months old! Babies need carbohydrates, and fats as well as proteins for their growth during the crucial first year and even into the second year.





An avocado is smooth and creamy when mashed - a perfect food that will be more readily accepted as baby begins solids.





As you begin to introduce a wide variety of foods, you will find that mashing an avocado and mixing with applesauce, peaches or pears, bananas and even yogurt make a wonderful meal or snack.





Infants should NOT be on a "low fat" diet so disregard any advice to not feed avocados because they are high in fats! If you have any doubts, as always we recommend you consult your pediatrician.





|||My son was 5 months old at Thanksgiving (Many years ago) He was sitting on my husband's lap at the dinner table, and I looked over and noticed that he was feeding the baby something from the table. Oysters from the stuffing!!! So my baby's first solid food was oysters! I wouldn't suggest you start with that.|||I have not tried yet but when I went for my babies 4 month check up the doctor and I talked about this and she said Not to even offer rice cereal that it really is unnecessary. She said it would be more beneficial to start with avocado, prunes or banana. I also was told this same thing in my new mom's group. So I think I will listen to my babies doc and try some avocado first. She also said to only feed one sold at a time for 3 or 4 days.|||well, rice cereal in her bottle per doc bc of acid reflux; even though she was on zantac she couldn't keep much down....not sure if that is the answer you are looking for though!|||My son is 5 months now and we started giving him cereal at 4 mos. We started with Rice, but it constipated him and gave him gas. So then I went on to Oatmeal, and it was very easy on him and he likes it.





Now that he has taken the cereal for a few weeks, my pediatrician said to start with yellow vegetables first. He has acid reflux so fruit isn't such a good idea just yet. Plus starting with a vegetable makes it easier for them to eat b/c fruit tastes so much better and they may not want vegetables after eating yummy fruit! So I started with Butternut squash (the Stage 1 baby foods) for a week and he loves it!! Now we are starting carrots, and he seems to like it but just not as much.





Either way, the whole process is fun! Every baby is different, so who knows what he will like. Just make sure you start slow, and small portions. And wait 3-5 days in between introducing a new flavor.





Good luck!|||It was gerber rice cereal. She had it twice a day for a while, then it went to three times a day. After that we started her on the 1st foods from gerber. She breastfed for the first 9 months. Then she moved on to 2nd foods and now 3rd and solids. If you want anymore info, just email me!!! I could tell ya everything you need to know.





I know people are saying they put the rice cereal in the formula, but don't do it!!!! My doctor made it clear that baby will drink less and it WONT come through because it blocks up the tip of the nipple. Then you will have one crabby babe.|||I started with Gerber Rice Cereal (now they make it with DHA and ARA just like the good formulas). Once I knew he was good with that, I gave him Gerber Peas.





A few things I've learned and found to be true are...





1. It's actually not a good idea to put cereal in the bottle. It can cause indigestion in babies, and does not actually help much. The point in the cereals is to introduce them to solids and table feeding, so it's best to mix it as stated on the box and feed them w/ a bowl and spoon.





2. Don't introduce TOO many foods at once. If you find your baby is having an alergic reaction to something, you want to be able to pinpoint the exact new food in his/her diet.





3. I found that starting them with veggies such as the peas, carrots, green beans etc will actually help them develope a like for the taste before introducing them to the sweet taste of fruit and having them favor only the sweet fruit foods over the veggies.





I found that the Gerber brands were my favorites! Not only is the price pretty good, but I trust the name, and my baby really enjoyed their food. Especially the step 1/2's that came in 2 packs, Money saver! Then as your child grows Gerber makes all sorts of things for each stage right up to the Graduate finger foods.





OK last but not least, after your baby had his fix of Rice cereal, you can also buy a baby food maker, sold at most stores like walmart/ babies r us, and process your baby foods. I did it with carotts, peas, and potato, then banana! (although I hate to say it, the jar foods were alot easier LOL)





Sorry I wrote such a long answer, but I did alot of research on this with my little man when it came time to solid feed. I guess you could say I was really paranoid the first time around!

No comments:

Post a Comment